Specialized Interim Minister
First Presbyterian Church,
- Took a declining and depressed congregation, reduced anxiety and brought a new
sense of excitement based on a common vision.
- Empowered lay leadership and assisted them to regain authority from diverse power-
brokers and unify the congregation under Sessions (Consistorys) leadership.
- Walked the congregation, Session and PNC through a process of reflection and
vision-casting, including three Town Hall Meetings and the Natural Church Development
Survey, leading to a new model of ministry and developing a plan to implement that
- Led Session through a reorganization process including reestablishing the financial
books and proper financial policies, recovering missing minutes, reconstructing
membership rolls and training both Deacons and Elders in their offices.
- Led the PNC and Session through a 5-hour retreat in which the contents of the
mission study was completed and summarized and contents of CIF were developed
- Established 6 new small groups through the 40 Days of Purpose campaign with
attendance larger than worship.
- Came to understand more deeply the need to care for myself and my relationships
in the midst of ministry
- Saw clearly how self-deception can cripple a congregation and ministry, and how the
truth sets them free.
- Learned how effectively trained lay leaders can support a pastor through his own