Specialized Interm Senior Minister
Teays Valley Presbyterian Church,
Scott Depot, WV;
- Quickly established friendly relationships with all the key leaders on all sides of the
various conflicts, letting them fully discuss with me their fears, hurts and grievances and
becoming close enough to even correct their misconceptions about what motivated others
in this conflict and about the actual behavior of others, including the pastor.
- Within 3 months, assessed the needs of the congregation and established a detailed
plan for overcoming weakness leading to this conflict (a lack of empowering leadership
and a hurried/inadequate pastoral search process) and for completing a detailed mission
study to reunite the congregation, redesign the churchs mission and develop a profile in
order to call a pastor.
- Established a collegial relationship with a former pastor whose well-intentioned
activities sometimes undermined the pastor who followed him (increasing the conflict),
and thereby helped the former pastor to understand and establish better boundaries for
life after ministry.
- Informed the Elders and congregation of the need to change how they dealt with
offerings and pastoral compensation so as not to run afoul of IRS charitable giving
guidelines, correcting an ongoing problem in the churchs financial life.
- Established a Church Health Team to lead the church in responding to the results
of the Natural Church Development Survey. This team lead the congregation through
a process of discussion and planning leading to a plan to improve the reconciliation and
- Reformed the Worship Committee to represent the concerns of all three worship
- Led the congregation in processes of forgiveness and reconciliation. Entrenched
emotions originating out of verbal abuse, bursts of rage and sexual innuendo by a
previous pastor and reactive abuse from members remain to be addressed over the
next several years.
- I have advised the Presbytery to seek either an “After Pastor” as a
Called Pastor or to seek an “amicable divorce” in the congregation by
daughtering off a church plant, relieving the conflict and giving both parts chances to